The best kitchen sink drain clears out the wastewater from the sink basin into the drain pipe. You need to choose an appropriate sink drain kit that fits the drainpipe perfectly.
The market will spoil you with options for various kitchen sink drain assemblies. Before buying a sink drain assembly you should check its material, size, finish, etc.
Top Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly
What Is A Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly?
A kitchen sink drain empties wastewater from the sink. It channels the wastewater into a sewer or disposal area. The entire process happens via gravity.
First, the drain sucks the unwanted liquid from the sink through its opening. Then the waste water goes into the drain line at an increasing speed, where it gets ejected into a sewer or any other disposable place.
The drain piping system consists of a P-trap, which is curved and holds some of the wastewater.
The retained liquid forms a seal. As a result, dangerous and bad smells can’t pass through into your kitchen. The water remains in the curved area because the drain line sits above it.
What Size Sink Drain Do You Need?
The size of your kitchen sink drain should be narrower or the same as that of the sink’s drain hole. For example, if the drain opening is 2 – inches wide, your sink drain size should be 1.75 – inches wide.
If you don’t have the sink manual indicating its drain hole measurements, here is how you determine it;
Step 1: Place a Tape Measure on The Drain Opening
Place the starting point of your tape measure on one side of the drain hole at the center. Then run it across to the opening to the other side.
Step 2: Take the Measurements
Read the measurements and record them down.
Step 3: Measure the Drain’s Shallow Part
After measuring the upper part of the drain hole, measure its lower part to get the size of the tailpipe to use.
With these measurements, you will find the correct drain for your sink.
Best Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly
1. KONE Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly
- Item Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Product Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 4 inches
- Material: Stainless steel
- Color: Brushed nickel finish
- Components: Locking nut, PVC waterproof pad, removable basket strainer, and rubber gasket ring
KONE stainless steel kitchen sink drain assembly is the best on the market. You can install it in any kitchen. Its sink opening ranges from 3.23 inches to 4.45 inches. But its height is 3.85 – inches.
With a 304 stainless steel construction, this kitchen sink drain lasts for many years.
You need to measure your existing plumbing before purchasing to see if it fits this height. It comes with a sturdy plastic nut that is easy to fix and remove.
Though the sink drain cannot be connected to garbage disposal, it comes with a removable deep basket strainer that prevents any particle from passing through.
You only need to remove it and empty the content into your dust bin.
Its brushed nickel finish pleases the eye and blends well with the kitchen’s interior décor. What’s amazing is that you need no expert to install it for you. Anyone can do it! It’s also a breeze to clean it.
Despite these amazing features, the manufacturer offers a 2 – year warranty from the date of purchase.
- It fits most of the kitchen sinks
- It comes with a deep basket strainer that traps particles and prevents clogging
- Its 304 stainless steel construction contributes to its long life and non-corrosion nature
- It’s easy to install and clean
- It has a 2 – year warranty
- You cannot connect it to a garbage disposal
- It only fits a plumbing system with a height of 3.85 – inches
2. KONE 3 – ½ Inch Kitchen Sink Stainless Steel Sink Drain Assembly
- Color: Black
- Construction: 304 Stainless steel
- Drain opening size: 3 – ½ inches
- A Strainer, which is also a water stopper
KONE kitchen sink drain assembly fits most standard kitchen sinks. Its drain opening size is 3 – ½ inches, which is a universal size for most sink drain holes.
Its shiny black stainless steel attracts your attention. But that’s not the only good news; the black finish prevents all the parts of this drain assembly from rusting. Also, it does not leak.
The steel used in its making explains this product’s sturdy construction and long life. The sink drain is also a doddle to use it. It comes with a strainer that also works as a stopper.
You can decide to stop the water flow using it or allow it to drain while the 2–in-one strainer sieve any particle trying to pass through into the drain.
Afterward, you can easily remove the strainer and empty it into your kitchen disposal bin. Also, it won’t take you more than a minute to clean this stain-resistant kitchen sink drain.
With the easy-to-read and understand installation instructions, you don’t require a plumber. You can install it yourself.
Though this kitchen sink drain assembly has fantastic features, you cannot connect it to garbage disposal. But it’s no worries because it has a strainer.
- It fits typical home kitchen sinks
- It comes in robust construction and lasts for many year
- It does not leak and rust
- The installation instructions that come with it make fixing it a piece of cake
- You can ask for a full refund if it does not perform as expected
- You cannot attach it to a garbage disposal
- Not ideal for small sinks
3. Moen 22036 3 – ½ Inch Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly
- Dimensions: 4.62 x 4.62 x 3.06 – inches
- Material: Stainless steel
- Lock nut, drain assembly, and basket strainer
- Limited lifetime warranty and installation instructions
The Moen kitchen sink drain assembly could be an excellent fit. It’s compatible with any composite sink from Moen, and with a drain opening of 3 – ½ inches.
With its built-in strainer, you don’t have to worry about clogging your kitchen sink drain plumbing. The strainer restricts debris and food particles from entering the drain, saving you time and money. What makes this sink drain stand out is its versatility.
You’ll also find a lock nut and installation instructions in its package. The lock nut secures it in place, and you get to install it with ease through the easy-to-read and understand installation instructions. It’s ideal for heavy use.
In addition to an affordable price, the manufacturer ensures you enjoy value for your money by offering a limited lifetime warranty. In case of any defect, you are free to contact its warm customer service for a solution.
- Compatible with stainless sinks with a drain opening of 3 – ½ inches
- It comes with a lock nut
- It blends well with any kitchen’s interior décor and appliances
- Anyone can afford it and has a limited lifetime warranty
- It’s easy to install and clean
- It does not fit drain holes larger or smaller than 3 – ½ – inches
- You’ll need to buy a flanged tailpiece separately
4. Highcraft 3-1/2” Stainless Steel Kitchen Drain Assembly With Strainer Basket and Rubber
- Heavy-gauge stainless steel construction
- Fits drain with 3.5 to 4-inch openings
- Made of stain-resistant chrome finish
- Dishwasher safe
- Built-in anti-clogger with strainer and rubber stopper
This product is worth considering if you are looking for a high-quality yet affordable drain assembly for your kitchen sink. The drain is constructed from heavy-duty stainless steel and chrome plating for long-lasting durability.
The best part? Besides the drain, you also get a rubber stopper for closing the drain and a strainer basket. As for the strainer, you can also use it as a water plug and can fit 3.5 to 4-inch standard drains. Even better, the parts are all detachable for ease of cleaning.
Additionally, this drain assembly is integrated with an anti-clogger feature to eliminate clogs. It works by trapping food debris while also allowing water to drain quickly.
- Includes detachable components for ease of cleaning
- Easy to install on any standard drain
- Excellent quality build for the price
- Strainers stay in place without tipping sideways
- Matches most kitchen sink styles
- The stopper is not made of heavy-gauge steel like the drain
- Ring nuts lack the correct depth of the threads
5. EADOT 3-1/2 Inch Brushed Nickel Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly with Strainer Basket Stopper
- Backed by a 2-year manufacturers’ warranty
- Made of SUS stainless steel with a brushed finish
- Built-in durable and rust-resistant metal knob
- Perfect fit for sink drains with a 3.5-inch opening hole
- Leak-free thickened rubber gasket
Here comes another affordable drain assembly made of premium quality SUS stainless steel for superior durability. However, what stands out about the drain is its brushed nickel finish that is rust and corrosion-resistant. Even better, the manufacturer offers a 2-year warranty for a quality guarantee.
If that’s not enough, this drain has thickened rubber gaskets to ensure leak-free operation. Also included are a drain stopper and a removable basket strainer with a metal knob. You can use the knob to lift the stopper so water can drain quickly.
Something else you will love about this drain is its ease of installation. You can install it in minutes on any kitchen sink with a drain opening hole of 3.5 inches.
- Removable basket strainer for ease of cleaning
- Installs easily with no leaks
- Heavy-duty construction
- Protects your drain from clogging
- Brushed nickel finish is rust resistant
- Only compatible with 3.5-inch kitchen sink drains
- Not dishwasher safe
6. BOTEMY 3-1/2 inch Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly with Removable Sink Strainer Basket
- Made of premium 304-grade stainless steel
- Thick rubber washer/gasket to prevent leakage
- Built-in and removable strainer basket
- Fits all standard sink drains with a 3.5-inch opening
- Durable and rust-proof oil-rubbed finish
The BOTEMY B9171 is perhaps the easiest to install sink drain. This is because you don’t need to use silicone adhesive or plumber putty. Instead, you use the mounting and lock nut that comes with the drain. Also included are the washers and a sink strainer for quick installation right out of the box.
Another thing you will love about this drain is its 304 steel construction, built to last. Furthermore, it boasts an oil-rubbed finish, designed to resist rust, water spots, and fingerprints better than other finishes.
This drain assembly comes with a removable strainer and stopper to prevent debris from entering the drain pipes, causing a blockage. The strainer basket is also easy to use with one quick push or pull.
- Smooth finish that matches most kitchen sinks
- The strainer works as a drain and water plug
- Rust and stain-resistant drain
- Backed by hassle-free customer service
- Easy to keep clean
- Connection nut is a bit short
- Installation instructions are a bit vague
7. VARNAHOME Stainless Steel Kitchen Sink Twist Lock Basket Drain Assembly
- Fits sink drains with 3.5 to 4-inches openings
- Twist lock basket strainer with wing nut style
- 304-grade stainless steel construction and brass nuts
- Dishwasher safe parts
- Anti-corrosion brushed finish
Unlike most drain assembly units designed to fit 3.5-inches sinks, this model is a universal size. Simply, you can install it on all sink drains with openings between 3.5 and 4 inches. It is also easy to install in minutes using the brass nuts included with the package.
Another outstanding feature of this drain is its spin and seal basket filter, which also works as a plug. The strainer boasts a wing nut-style lock that you can rotate to prevent water from draining.
Regarding durability, the assembly is constructed from 304-grade stainless steel, while the nuts are made from brass. As such, it will not rust or corrode when submerged in water for many years.
- Made of visually appealing and anti-scratch finish
- Keeps unwanted debris out of your drain
- Compatible with all standard drain pipes
- Constructed from all-metal materials
- Super easy to install
- The drain has a shallow depth
- The quality of the strainer basket could be better
8. ROVOGO 3-1/2-inch Kitchen Sink Drain With Stainless Steel Removable Deep Basket Strainer
- 3-year free-replacement warranty
- Fits sink with a 3.5-inches opening
- Strainer, drain cup and cover made of 304-grade stainless steel
- Removable basket strainer with rust-proof handle
- Includes lid cap with leak-free rubber seals
With a 3-year quality warranty against manufacturing defects, there is no doubt that this drain assembly is crafted for durability. You can opt for a free replacement or a full refund. And besides the warranty, the manufacturer also offers lifetime technical support.
Additionally, the ROVOGO 3.5-inch Kitchen Sink Drain has a deep basket-strainer with many micro holes. This helps ensure the water drains fast while preventing food scraps from draining into the drain pipe. And for ease of cleaning, the removable strainer is equipped with a handle.
You will also be pleased to learn that this sink drain comes with washers, drain nuts, an instruction manual, and a tailpiece. Therefore, you don’t need a plumber to help you with the installation.
- All mounting accessories included
- Easy to keep clean
- The strainer is easy to pull out and empty debris
- Made with durability in mind
- Leak-free construction
- The stopper handle only swings in one direction
- Not dishwasher safe
9. TUKTUK 3-1/2 Inch Kitchen Sink Drain Strainer Assembly Kit for Standard Kitchen Sink
- Fits standard size sink drains measuring 3.5 inches
- Removable basket strainer with deep cup
- Made from premium-grade stainless steel and brushed nickel finish
- Equipped with an anti-seepage rubber gasket ring
- Includes sink stopper for garbage disposal
Looking for a drain assembly kit that complements your sink style? Whether you have a quartz or fireclay farmhouse sink, this unit has you covered. It features a durable brushed nickel finish, adding a timeless style to any kitchen sink with a 3.5-inches drain opening.
Coming at an affordable price, you will be pleased to learn that the kit is made of 304-grade stainless steel. This makes it completely corrosion and rust-proof, ensuring long-lasting usage.
Additionally, the drain assembly comes with a deep-cut basket strainer for trapping food waste. The strainer also features a rubber seal washer and stopper to prevent leaks or water from draining.
- Perfect match for all kitchen sinks and faucets styles
- It prevents food waste from clogging drain pipes
- Easy installation without any tools
- Drains quickly without clogging
- Works with any standard sink drain
- It cannot be cleaned in the dishwasher
- Some components are made of plastic
10. GETPRO 3-1/2 Inch Matte Black Kitchen Sink Drain Strainer Assembly Kit with Fixed Post Strainer Basket
- Installs in a sink with 3.5 inches size drain holes
- Removable 2-in-1 basket strainer
- Heavy-duty stainless steel construction
- Fitted with water and airtight rubber washer
- Fast installation and worry-free after-sale service
The GETPRO Kitchen Sink Drain Stopper offers durable quality with its matte black finish and 304 steel construction. So, you don’t have to worry about rust or stains on this drain kit. Best of all, the black finish is easy to clean and matches a wide range of sink drain styles.
Similar to other products, this kit comes with a multi-purpose basket strainer. The strainer features micro holes to prevent debris from seeping into the drain pipes. It also comes with a stopper that you can easily remove for smooth water draining.
Something else you will love about this drain assembly is its universal fit design. This means you can easily install the drain on any sink with a 3.5-inches opening.
- No tools needed or plumbers putty for installation
- Rust and stain-resistant finish
- Available in more color options
- Sturdily built for long-lasting use
- Offers clog and leak-free performance
- A little more pricey than similar drain kits
- It does not include drain pipe
Things to Consider Before Buying Kitchen Sink Drain Assembly
Your kitchen sink drain position will determine the number of things.
Some drains are offset, while others are centered. Figure out the one you want to install when installing a new kitchen sink or remodeling the current one.
Centered drains are quieter, appear classic, are easy to install, and can fit most plumbing systems. Unfortunately, they can inconvenience you while washing utensils in your kitchen sink and wastes a lot of space beneath the sink.
On the other hand, an offset kitchen sink drain comes with a modern look and makes it easy to wash dishes. It also creates more space beneath your kitchen sink and is easily accessible to disabled or wheelchair users.
But if used in a shallow kitchen sink, the splashing increases. Also, unlike in a centered sink drain, it requires a lot of plumbing adjustments.
If dealing with a busy kitchen and a small sink, an offset drain will be great. Centered kitchen sink drains suit large sinks and projects that require constant renovations.
It’s therefore essential to consider your kitchen sink drain position before buying one.
Size of the Sink Drain Opening
Kitchen sink drains come in different sizes. You must know the exact size of your kitchen sink’s drain hole. The best way to know is by measuring it.
Then go with the measurements to your vendor and pick a sink drain that fits.
A larger or smaller drain than your sink’s drain opening will be useless. It will save you time and money to buy the right size sink drain.
Kitchen sinks come in many styles. Consider a sink drain that fits your kitchen sink design.
Consider the shape and the entire plumbing system. Will it fit and function properly when installed in your kitchen sink’s drain opening?
Some sink drains fit only some specific kitchen sink types. Know your kitchen sink style first, then go for a drain designed for it.
Kitchen sinks are made using various materials. It would be great to pick a sink drain made with a similar material because they will match.
But if you would like to make a statement in your kitchen, you can use a sink drain with different material from that of the sink.
You only need to ensure that the materials complement each other. The same case applies to the finishing. It could be different from that of the sink but ensure that it complements that of the sink.
As for the color, it’s great if it matches that of the sink. Some colors also blend perfectly. You can choose a sink drain with a color that complements that of your kitchen sink, appliances, and internal décor.
Alternatively, you can go for neutral colors such as which, black, and grey. They blend excellently with all other colors.
Though most kitchen sink drains are affordable, it’s essential to set a cost limit for yourself. It will help you choose the right sink drain within your budget.
Some kitchen sink drains come as a set of several parts while others consist of only one piece. First, consider what you need for your sink drain. Is it a strainer basket or stopper only, or more?
Some sink drain manufacturers add extra features for better usability. For example, some come with a center knob to help remove the strainer easily for emptying.
You will have to pay more for a sink drain with added capabilities than that without. It does not mean that those without extra characteristics are bad.
If they can sort out your needs and are within your budget, why not buy them? But if have the money, a kitchen sink drain with extra features is preferable.
Cleaning and Maintenance
A kitchen sink drain should be easy to clean and maintain. It’s therefore important to choose a sink drain that does not attract dirt and is hard to clean.
That’s why sink drains made using materials such as stainless steel are preferable. They do not stain, or rust, and clean easily using warm soapy water. Others are washable in your dishwasher.
A kitchen sink drain made with a robust material such as stainless steel lasts for many years. You will need to know the material used in making a sink drain before buying it. Otherwise, you may go back to the market after a short period.
Kitchen Sink Strainer or Crumb Cup Benefits
Kitchen sink drainers prevent solid waste from going down the drain line and causing a blockage. The strainer allows wastewater and fine particles to pass through its holes into the drainage.
Large particles cannot pass through the holes, trapping them in the crumb cup. When it’s full, you only need to empty the crumb cup or strainer.
Clogged pipes cause inconveniences. It’s also an expensive and tiring exercise. But you can avoid all these with a reliable strainer for your kitchen sink.
Saves Your Small Valuable Items
A kitchen drain strainer traps more than food bits. While washing your dishes or foodstuff, your expensive ring may come out.
If your sink doesn’t have a strainer or crumb cup, it may go down the drain.
You may be lucky when you take out your sink plumbing system and find it. If there’s a lot of waste water going down the drain, it can get push it passed the p-trap to the sewer.
Sink parts and small tools such as nuts can also go down a drain without a strainer. You must put the strainer or cover the drain sink hole when repairing your sink.
Other valuable small items that can go down a sink drain include and are not limited to chains, earrings, and watches.
Restricts Insects Into Your Kitchen via the Sink
Some annoying insects such as spiders and cockroaches may go up your sink drain pipes.
If you don’t have a strainer on your sink’s drain hole, they may get access to your kitchen through the sink.
Fortunately, a reliable drain strainer blocks access to any type of insects or pests.
Your sink’s drain opening directs the size of the drain to use. Kitchen sink drains come in different sizes as follows;
Kitchen Sink Drain Sizes
a) Universal Size
Today, kitchen sink drains are universal. They have a diameter of 3 ½ – inches, which works out perfectly for a kitchen sink.
This size meets the required plumbing code for a kitchen sink drain.
If you violate it, you may face obstacles such as clogging, plumbing problems, water contamination, and bad-smelling, dangerous gases entering your kitchen.
b) Drain Pipes Sizes
A kitchen sink drain is not complete without its piping system. It connects to pipes beneath the sink.
These pipes carry waste liquid into the sewer. For the piping system to work well, it must be connected correctly and consist of the right size.
Drain pipes get made with PVC. The modern ones come with a diameter of 1 ½ – inches. The older sinks get connected to pipes with a diameter of 1 ¼ – inches.
Others have a diameter of 2 – inches, requiring you to use a reducing bushing to connect them to the drainage.
With the above information, you may wonder how you determine the right drain size for your sink. No need to fret. Here is the insight.
How to Plumb a Sink Drain Properly
Step 1: Collect the Required Materials
You will need to have certain materials for this procedure. You should collect them before you begin the installation. They include;
Step 2: Prepare the Strainer Basket
The strainer basket has to get prepared for optimal results. Begin by putting on some gloves. Then roll some putty into your hands to make a roll of approximately ¼ – inches thick. When you finish, place the putty roll around the basket strainer’s rim.
Next, place the strainer basket into the drain hole. Ensure it sits correctly.
Step 3: Connect the Gaskets and Nut
After preparing and placing the strainer basket into its place, it’s time to connect the gaskets and the nut.
According to the International Building Code, every linear pipe foot should have a ¼ – inch drop for the water to drain properly.
Otherwise, your plumbing will experience some backup issues. Inspect the pipes to ensure they adhere to this code.
Next, go under the sink to access the down part of the basket strainer. Then put the gasket in first. Ensure it’s nice and snug against the basket strainer’s top.
Next, pick the nut and screw it on. Use your hands to tighten it enough. Avoid over-tightening it as it may cause issues with your drain.
As you secure the strainer, excess putty will come out. Wipe it out and proceed to the next step.
Step 4: Put a Washer to the Tailpiece and Connect it to the Strainer Basket
Take the tailpiece and insert a washer. Its angled end should be upwards towards the connection. Then connect it to the strainer basket by pushing it tight from below.
Ensure you screw the nut enough to allow for a wiggle room as you connect the rest of the piping system.
Step 5: Connect the P-Trap
At this point, you have a pipe connecting to the drain or sewer, and the tailpiece you’ve just connected. It’s now time to join the two using a p-trap.
Connect one side of the p-trap with the tailpiece, and the other with the drain pipe on the wall. Tighten the nuts enough not to allow any leakage.
After the connection, run your sink’s water to see if there’s any connection problem such as leakage. If any, rectify the issue by redoing the process keenly. If not, you’ve successfully installed your sink drain!
Sink drains are essential. As described above, it prevents gases from entering your kitchen, clogging, and losing essential, valuable, small items.
Also, the drain strainer prevents insects and pests from crawling into your kitchen through the sink’s piping system.
Sink drains are made from various materials and come in different sizes.
The best kitchen sink drain assembly fits well into your sink’s draining system, allows wastewater to flow seamlessly, and traps solid waste. It also pleases the eyes and blends well with the sink and the kitchen’s interior décor. You will need to consider the factors described above to get a suitable sink drain.